What is VTOS?
VTOS means 'Vocational Training Opportunity Scheme'. VTOS gives unemployed adults the opportunity of returning to full-time education without losing their social welfare payments. Read our FAQ section here.
How will it benefit me?
- Prepare you to go to paid employment
- Prepare you for further education opportunities
- Provide you with an increased range of lifestyle options
- Skills acquisition
You will also:
- Receive a small lunch allowance and may be entitled to a travel allowance depending on the distance between your home and the college
- Receive books and materials free of charge
- There is childcare support under the CETS scheme.
How much will it cost?
Courses are provided free of charge
What programmes can I do?
There are 20 places available on the Balbriggan VTOS course.
Am I ELIGIBLE?
Yes, if you are over 21 years of age and in receipt of one of the following for a minimum of 156 days:
- Unemployment Benefit
- Unemployment Assistance
- One-Parent Family Payment
- Invalidity Pension
- Disability Allowance
- Disability Benefit (subject to obtaining permission from section)
Dependant spouses and those signing for 'credits' who meet these criteria are also eligible to participate in the scheme, but will not receive an allowance.
From 1 January 2013, VTOS participants who move from jobseeker's payments will no longer have their new payments increased to the maximum €188 per week, in cases where their jobseeker's payment is less than this. However, people under 25 will continue to receive a top-up rate of up to €160 per week.This will apply to new participants only.
Training allowances will no longer be paid. Students retain their social welfare and any other secondary benefits. Course participants will retain meal and travel allowance.
Balbriggan VTOS Courses available:
|Course Title||Level||Full/Part Time||Day/Evening||Location|
|Business Level 6 (VTOS)||6||Full-time||Day||Balbriggan|
|Business Administration (VTOS)||5||Full-time||Day||Balbriggan|
|Beauty Therapy (VTOS)||5||Full-time||Day||Balbriggan|
|Healthcare Support (VTOS)||5||Full-time||Day||Balbriggan|
|Early Childhood Care||5||Full-time||Day||Balbriggan|